Thursday, March 22, 2007

Baboons don't kill snails, people do. Me in particular.

Man, what is with me killing snails? I just keep doing it and it's driving me crazy.

Remember how I mentioned that my baboon tank killed all the snails in it, even when I washed it all out and filled it up a'fresh? Well I tried again, this time with new rocks, a well rinsed tank, and one very well rinsed plant. And what did I get? Two dead snails. Within minutes. When my snails die they do a little snail death dance. It's kind of like a spasm where they try to get out of their own shell or something. It's sad.

What oh what am I doing wrong? My tainted plastic tank theory seems to be shot since there can't be hardly any remnant of plastic baboon toxin in there. Last time was with filtered water, this time it was with tap water (which very likely could be the culprit this time around). I'm going to let this tap water sit for a few days and put some drops in it to let it de-chlorine-ify and then try with another couple of snails. If they die instantly I think my snail husbandry licence needs to be revoked. The little shits will just have to live in their swampy breeding jar for the rest of eternity and never see the glory of my lovely new tank.

4 comments:

Carollani said...

If the next round of snails die I think you should bring home the tank and we'll burn sage in it to scare off the demons.

CJ said...

You have to crack a few shells to make a snail omelet

Oscarlover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oscarlover said...

sorry, didn't want to leave 2 comments when only one is necessary...
Any time you clean out ANY tank, you have to be sure to de-cholrine-ize (I guess you can say,) the water, as well as be sure the water is the exact same temp. An expert once told me that the human finger tip can measure the temperature to within a half a degree, so try it. But remember, even when you put them into a seperate container, add a few drops of "Aqua-safe" to the water to be sure there is no chlorine there either, as well as the temp... so you don't forget what temp you started with, and so they don't die off on you when your back is turned. They should do fine. If not, (I doubt they will die after this) ask an expert at any fish store. They can tell you what to feed the snails, when, and what temp. their water should be.
Remember, DO NOT USE ANY SOAP OR ANYTHING TO WASH OFF ANY DECORATIONS OR ROCKS!! This can kill them as well.
Hope this helped you out a little bit...