Monday, June 4, 2007

Snails: Our Children of the Deep

ebony the greatMeet Ebony. She's one of my black mystery snails. She eats anything in her way. Often times she enjoys brisk walks crawls on my lilies. And occasionally Ebony enjoys a gentle foot rub.

Despite having Ebony and enjoying nearly every minute of our time together I've still yet to grasp exactly what it is about snails that's so... great. They kind of just eat, move, eat, breed and poop. But maybe that's what is so amazing and enthralling about our squishy (I accidentally squished one...) aquatic friends. These guys are so predictable and "dumb" that we cling on to them as if they were our own mentally challenged children. Our squishy, breeding, plant eating children.

Ebony has this fascination with racing to the top of my aquarium. But once she reaches the top and her little snail eyes notice she's got no where else to go she quickly pulls herself back into her shell and sinks to the bottom. Rinse and repeat. She does this for hours. If she wasn't already equipped with her own shell I would be jumping at the chance to fashion her a safety helmet and mini bite guard. It would be an awesome helmet with racing stripes and shiny reflectors for her night time activities.

Maybe snails aren't our handicap children. Or at least chances are my fellow snail owners won't be viewing their pets as children. But Ebony has found her place in my heart... as my mentally challenged child of the deep.

3 comments:

Iggy said...

I couldn't get pasted where you said you accidently squished one....snail killer.

CJ said...

You have to crack a few shells to make a snail omelet. Not that I would know anything about snail omelets... discusting.

Awesome post though! I can honestly say this is one of the best (top 10) posts about snails I've ever read. Ever.

Iggy said...

Thank You For Laverne & Shirley!!!!